Sunday, October 7, 2007

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Can I get a Hell Yeah?!?!

I was feeling pretty beat up and sorry for myself after this weekend's workload: A pretty hard 82 mile ride on Saturday followed by a less than stellar 18 mile long run on hilly terrain today. The season, and my intensive workload (training, coaching and teaching) is starting to wear on me a bit. I'm looking forward to taper time, Clearwater and a 3 week end of season break!

Thankfully, I received some GREAT news today! Up and coming long course stud Liam O'Connell (pictured) LAID IT DOWN at today's Long Horn Half Iron Triathlon in Austin, TX, taking second place overall and the overall amateur champion title! Simply put, Liam "SMOKE CHECKED" the entire Pro field save one, under BRUTAL conditions. Last time that I checked, running a half marathon after swimming 1.2+ miles (the swim was long) and biking 57 + (the bike was long too - I guess that everything really is bigger down in Texas!) isn't a very easy task, but to do so under 95 degree temperatures and a scorching sun?!?! Damn...

Long course newbie and fellow Texan, Natalie Miller, also had a GREAT day, destroying her old half I.M. PR by over 40 minutes, this despite the heat, long course, rugged course profile and the fact that we've only been working together for about 2 months. Way to go Natalie! And just think... this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Keep an eye out for Liam as he'll be racing again in 3 weeks at the Iron Star Half Iron Triathlon in Conroe, TX. The goal: Take the overall win.

I'm 8 short months away from living my dream: Full time coaching while racing on the Pro circuit. I get emotional just thinking about it. I am so thankful that I'm able to coach full time for a living as working with athletes is my true passion and calling in life. It's hard to even call it "work."

What I'm most excited about is the fact that I've recently picked up a bunch of new athletes, many of whom are young (22 - early 30s), hungry and full of talent. A few in particular are going to absolutely set the U.S. long course scene on fire next year and I can't wait to be a part of the action! Stay tuned, as I'll be unveiling their names and primary racing objectives come the beginning of 2008.

In the mean time, check out the Long Horn results. Note the ridiculously slow run times. This was a suffer fest of a race if there ever was one.

Great job once again Liam and Natalie! You made my day!

Liam's Blog: http://www.liamoconnell.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats on your own personal successes as I saw on Ironman site. I'm a friend of Liam's. He really pushed himself and looked exhausted, but happy.

JRM said...

Thanks Jane! I'm SO happy for Liam! What a day...

Liam O'Connell said...

janda,
thanks for everything man! its all starting to come around. i just posted the race recap on my blog. thanks again, and stay warm up there !