Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Muskoka 70.3

Muskoka: Hands down the toughest 70.3 event I've ever competed in, but I'm already counting down the days until next year's race!

Hills, Rain, Wilderness, a Wetsuit Legal Swim... What more could I ask for?!?!

This race was all that it was cracked up to be and I couldn't be happier with my performance. Despite a stellar field that included the likes of Craig Alexander, Richie Cunningham, Simon Lessing, Dave Harju and rising star Daniel Bretcher, I was able to claw my way back from my typical 5+ minute swim deficit to a 5th place overall finish (see results); my second podium finish of the year on the 70.3 circuit.

Muskoka provided a very much needed boost of confidence. Recording the 2nd fastest overall bike split and third fastest overall run split against guys of this caliber makes me feel as though I've made the right decision to leave school behind and go full tilt with the coaching and athletic gig. As fast as I went on Sunday, I honestly feel as though I have A LOT more in me and will continue to work hard to improve on all three fronts.

Well, that's a wrap. Michelle has outdone me once again by writing a race/travel recap that tells it all, so I encourage you to visit her blog if you're interested to hear how we spent last weekend. She's posted some great pics as well. We were fortunate enough to make a stop in Niagara Falls on our way back down from Canada, so the weekend was nothing short of spectacular for a variety of reasons.

Back to the grind: Time to start prepping for Ironman Florida again. I can look forward to tired legs and groggy mornings for the next 4 - 5 weeks. Revisiting 70.3 mode sure was fun while it lasted!





1 comment:

GetBackJoJo said...

Congrats! I'm so glad for you that you had a great race/podium finish and that you're feeling good about your decision to go pro/leave teaching. You definitely can compete with the best of them!